Relating Joyfully with Children
Sunday, June 27, 2010, 2-4 pm.
Free workshop. Any donations will go directly towards BirthMatters.info educational and outreach efforts.
In this interactive workshop, we aim toward the goal of relating with children in ways that are joyful, present, mindful, respectful, and supportive of both our own and children's needs. Through discussion and exercises, we'll work together on actively engaging in healthy, nonviolent relationships with young people, including:
- being a good ally for children (our own or others'),
- identifying needs,
- being in touch with our needs,
- playfulness using tools for support,
- recruiting resources,
- being a good ally for parents,
- and handling tantrums and other "uncomfortable" parenting experiences.
We welcome all adults who would like to relate joyfully with children, including parents, grandparents, teachers, and other caregivers.
Ryan McAllister is a long-time parent- and child-advocate. He co-parents a child with a rare genetic variation and significant developmental differences. Ryan has co-founded several relationship building organizations and projects, including:
- NotJustSkin.org, an all-volunteer organization that supports the physical and emotional well being of parents, children, and communities.
- Maitri House, a family-inclusive intentional community in the DC area that operates by values- based consensus.
- The Human Support Group, a twice-monthly practice and support group for people of all ages.
Ryan has over six years of experience in Nonviolent Communication, mindfulness, peer counseling, and parenting by connection. He also serves as research faculty at Georgetown University studying the biophysics of invasive cancer cells.
This free workshop is hosted by BirthMatters.info and Nurture PDX, two Oregon based organizations.
It will be held at:
North Winds Canvas 7911 NE 33rd Dr. Ste 390 Portland, OR 97211
The space is directly across from the Oregon Food Bank, and is being provided by North Winds Canvas. Pre-registration is recommended so that we have an idea of how many people to expect. You do not need to create an account to register, simply click on the link in the Register for Events menu.