Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mama Mantras

Tornadoes happen in our house, on a regular basis. These swirly, high energy twisters are typically amidst the fantastic chaos of learning, growing, playing, exploring, and creating; all activities that I welcome in my home. Sometimes, during these heavy weather growing events, I experience a physical and emotional reaction commonly known as stress. As I feel my shoulders pinch and my jaw clamp, in response to the feeling of my personal world spinning with objects flying by me in directions I could never have imagined, I find that it is helpful to turn inward and find a little message for myself that provides reassurance, calm, and grounding. This message becomes a temporary mantra, if you will, that I repeat softly or in my head until I feel my feet firmly replanted on the ground.

One of my favorite, or rather, most often used mantra is, "It is just a mess, we can clean it up." I have found this simple phrase immensely helpful, especially when I am trying to stay out of the way of my children's exploring and playing. I try to keep the messages short and easy, yet specific to the need at hand.

If you have a favorite mantra you have created in the midst of fertility, pregnancy, birth, postpartum, or parenting challenges and would like to share, send it my way and I will post it. I also, be assured, have many more to share.

Life is messy, messy can be beautiful, and all messes can be cleaned up, if needed.

It is just a mess, we can clean it up.

No comments: