Thursday, April 30, 2009

Children's Book: All In a Day

Portland author, Cynthia Rylant, has written a beautiful and poetic, heartfelt carpe diem for all ages. All In a Day reminds us to make the most of each day because each day is beautiful and important in its own right. My children love to read a book first thing in the morning, and I think, in this book, I have found the perfect "wake-up book". I am looking forward to reading it tomorrow morning, it will be a bright and positive message to start off our day.

The illustrations in All In a Day are fabulous and they tell a story, all on their own, featuring a child with beloved companion-chicken, a theme to which many Portlanders can relate. Nikki McClure's paper cut illustrations were the inspiration for Nurture's website design. I am quite moved by her pictures; they are simple, yet at the same time, intricate, and so alive and expressive. I also know that she is a cool mama who lives in Olympia, WA (see below for a short video about her). Be sure to check out her upcoming book, Remember: A Seasonal Record, due out in September 2009.

No comments: