While you are out there enjoying the Portland sunshine, consider making your family a refreshing, healthy treat and skip the ice cream run.
Fast and easy to make, they are a nutritious additional to your diet. Below is a basic smoothie recipe that contains all the good stuff; protein, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Be creative and add whatever is handy - and don't forget to share your favorite combos with other Nurture readers.
- ½ cup fresh organic berries (If you can only buy one fruit that is organic, go with the berries. Their thin skin allows for much pesticide absorption)
- 1 cup milk (cow, rice, soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 scoop of whey, rice, or hemp protein powder (this is the protein bit)
- ½ cup organic yogurt (cow, rice, soy, goat, coconut)
- ½ banana (adds the sweetness you may be craving)
Another amazingly healthful smoothie add is fresh spinach or kale. When you add a banana with it, the tartness is concealed and you have yourself a fresh, green drink.