Filial Therapy is most beneficial for children ages 3 - 12. However, many children as young as 2 years of age and up to 13 can benefit from Filial Therapy. Filial Therapy is beneficial for both the parent and the child.
The following concerns can be addressed with filial therapy:
- Preparing for or after the arrival of a new sibling
- Reconnecting with a parent experiencing postpartum depression/anxiety
- Attachment related difficulties in biological/foster/adoptive families
- Depression, sadness, moodiness
- Grief & loss
- Aggressive behaviors
- Excessively worries, anxiety, or separation issues
- Traumatic stress from events such as accidents, witnessing violence, abuse or a natural disaster
- Self-esteem or identity problems
- Nightmares/night terrors
- Needing to be center of attention
- School related difficulties
- Social issues
Goals and Benefits of Filial Therapy:
- Strengthened relationship with your child
- Develop a deeper understanding of your child
- Your child learns and understand their feelings
- You and your child learn to express feelings and communicate in healthy ways
- You and your child develop new problem solving skills
- Reduce or eliminate challenging behaviors
- Your child will feel heard and understood
- Your child can work through troubling issues
- Increased trust between you and your child
- Increased self-confidence and self-worth for your child
- Increased confidence in parenting
- Increase or repair your family's ability to have fun together
- Provide tools the family can use in the future
I also offer a filial therapy group when I have a minimum of 4 families to start at the same time. I maintain a waiting list for parents interested in the group filial therapy format. The group format provides the additional benefit of peer support, suggestions, and feedback.
Note: Filial therapy involves a commitment on your part, please read through the information about filial therapy on the Nurture website.
Fees:For individual filial therapy my rates are $65 for the initial session as well as all following 50-minute sessions and $32.50 for each 1/2 hour session. I offer a sliding scale when needed. My group rates are $65 for the initial session and $200 for the 10 week group. I offer a sliding scale when needed.